Thursday, July 21, 2011

Aamir Khan talks on his Film Peepli Live


Aamir Khan talks on his Film Peepli Live: Aamir Khan surely  knows how to hog the limelight. Be it with his perfection, films,  cooking…and most recently, his drummer act at the music launch of his  latest film Peepli Live -this Khan is a true-blue rockstar. The  actor-director-producer in conversation with our correspondent.


Q:Your production Peepli Live seems to be a socio-political satire…


A:Yes. You are right. Peepli Live is a satire. Humour is also an  important part of the film. We are narrating a serious issue in a  humorous way. It is about the rural and urban divide and the migration  of rural people to urban cities. In this film we have paid more  attention to the characters than the story.


Q:Was this a conscious decision to make a satire in order to do  ‘something different’?


A:In a way, yes. I can’t remember any satire in Hindi film industry  after Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro (1983). When I heard the story of Peepli Live  about 3-4 years ago, I liked it a lot. Anusha (Rizvi, writer-director)  is highly talented.


Q: You have even made fun of yourself in the film?


A: I thought when we have started making fun of each other, why not  start with myself? At one point there’s a reporter who calls me mad for  making the film Lagaan. Again, the Ghajini wafers and biscuits that he  is showing off, are actually brought in a cart…even the spellings of  the film and my name are wrong. (Laughs) I hope people really enjoy this  act.


Q: Both Lagaan and Peepli Live are rural-based films. Do you expect the  same Box Office results this time too?


A: I have not tried to make Peepli Live another Lagaan. I don’t want to  compare the two films. I want Peepli Live to retain its individualism.


Q: Media plays a crucial role in the film…


A: Yes, it is the media who interviews the main characters and take  their reactions that keeps the story rolling.


Q: But isn’t inclusion of media evident since Anusha herself was a  television journo?


A: Of course. When you are a journalist, you have a lot of  experiences….you go to various places, meet different people…and I  think, Anusha being a sensitive person, was able to form a story out of a  really important issue that India is facing.


Q: What’s there in Peepli Live that made the censor board issue an ‘A’  certification?


A: There are 10-15 places where we have used certain words and language  that is not suitable for children. We have kept a natural “boli”, so, in  certain places there are gaalis. That’s why the film has got an adult  certificate, which I think is perfectly right. I also don’t want  children to see this film.


Q: What made you turn drummer at the film’s music launch?


A: I think it’s the film’s music that brought out the drummer in me.  Since it’s Peepli Live, we wanted to keep everything ‘live’ at the  launch. If you have seen, not only me, all actors and musicians  performed live that night. But then, it was not a planned act. Indian  Ocean (folk fusion band), who have given two tracks in the film, called  me on stage to join them at the drums. I was a bit hesitant, but then, I  could not say ‘no’.


Q: Now, let’s talk about your Twitter mania…


A: I am overwhelmed with the response. I could never get a better way t o  communicate with my fans.


Share/Bookmark

.

No comments:

Post a Comment