Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hot Girls Without Dress Boys

Hot Girls Without Dress BoysHot Girls Without Dress Boys, As I was getting the kids ready for an afternoon of carefree fun at the pool today, my almost 6-year-old surprised me with this question, "Mom, why do girls have to wear bathing suit tops or shirts, but boys don't?"I wanted to shout, "Patriarchy!" as I like to blame most things on the patriarchy and I know it would have made Denise proud, but somehow I was pretty sure that response wouldn't suffice.


It occurs to me now that this may be the first time she's really had to deal with inequality in the world (or the Puritanical society in which we live). Yes, I know it's only a shirt (or a bathing suit top), but this may be the first time she's realized that different rules exist for different people. That's a pretty big deal.


Back to my story. I can't recall exactly how I replied (I wasn't prepared. I didn't study! I didn't know there was going to be a test!), but it was something to the effect of blaming "the man" for making "rules" like that. She didn't think it was fair. I can't blame her. It's not.


Later that evening I mentioned her question to Twitter and asked how they would respond. I received an interesting mix of replies.


I think my favorite came from Denise (Eat Play Love) who said, "Tell her breasts make people really really nervous! ;) " I have to agree. That pretty much sums it all up right there!


Emily (Mama Days said, "best answer: men have it easier in basically everything in life ;) " While I tend to agree with this statement, it wasn't the message I'm quite ready to give to Ava.


Cassie (Cassie Boorn) said, "I totally had a fit about that when I was young. It was my first sign of feminism ;) " I get the feeling many little girls find the notion off-putting.


While Amy (Entertainment Realm) said, "I went shirtless when I didn't have any boobs i.e. at that age. no biggie." Interesting. I can recall my little sister toddling around without a shirt when she was 2 or 3, but probably not as old as 6.


InnerWizdom said that personally she wouldn't enforce that "rule" because she finds it "bogus." She added that her kids do go topless at the public pool or beach, but not in stores because nobody is supposed to go shirtless there. She also said that she doesn't know how anyone can explain to a 6-year-old "that adults see their chest as sexual, as something to hide away, even though it looks the same as a boys." Yeah, I really didn't want to get into sexuality with her at that point. Also I admire her for not "forcing" her kids to do something just because that's what society says they should do. I don't know that I could do that.


So what do you think? What would your response be if your 6-year-old daughter asked you the same question? Would you blame anatomy? Blame the patriarchy? Blame the Puritans? Blame the American prudery (as my friend's husband suggested)? Or is the answer: "that's just how it is?"

No comments:

Post a Comment