Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gemma Arterton nearly quit Bond role


Post image for Gemma Arterton nearly quit Bond role


Gemma Arterton had almost quit her role as a Bond girl in Quantum Of Solace when a movie executive disparaged her “common” accent.


The star was cast as agent Strawberry Fields in Daniel Craig's second 007 outing in 2008.


However, she almost walked out when one American film chief warned her that if she carried on talking in her native British accent she would only ever be cast as a maid.


“I said, ”Hello! I”m playing a Bond girl who works for the British consulate!” I was so annoyed I nearly walked out… I went through this whole thing of, ”I”m common compared to all these Oxford graduates. I don”t know anything,”” the Daily Star quoted her as telling GQ magazine.


The actress' accent almost cost her a role in upcoming blockbuster 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' – after director Mike Newell ordered her to lose her twang and speak “posh”.


And now, the 24-year-old beauty is working with a voice coach after moviemaker Stephen Frears advised her to seek professional help during a recent audition.


“I went into this meeting and he went, ”Oh dear, oh dear. Why do you speak like that?” And I went, ”It’’s where I”m from.” He said, ”Well, you are going to have to sort that out,”” added Arterton.

No comments:

Post a Comment